In which I attempt to keep up with the brave, brilliant guardians of America's future
- According to the White House, Americans don't care about the AIG bonuses.
- The same AIG bonuses that President of the United States Barack H. Obama has made a big show of being indignant about.
- Even though those bonuses were specifically protected in the "stimulus" bill he signed just last month.
- Which was rushed through Congress because otherwise, according to Obama, the economy was going to be irreversibly destroyed.
- Except now it turns out he really meant to say, "The economy is doing better than we thought."
- (What, you've never had a slip of the tongue?)
- Oh yeah, and now Congress wants to to impose a 90% tax on the bonuses that Congress itself approved.
- Which isn't enough for Barney Frank, who wants the recipients dragged into the town square and beaten for accepting money he voted to give them.
- And all of the above is the other guy's fault.
- Who's "the other guy"? Whoever happens to be handy.
I think I get it: This is just a big distraction from the vitally important matters of state that President Obama is attending to. Which he'll tell us all about this evening.
On the Tonight Show.
Posted by Jim Treacher at March 19, 2009 01:11 PM